International Invitational Exhibition
Curators: Maria Paschalidou | Georgia Kotretsos
Sponsored by: The City Arts Grants of Chicago and The Illinois Arts Council
The Art of Artist Statement, is an invitational international exhibition in the context of which artists were invited to create a piece of artwork, in media of their choice, as a commentary on the subject of the written document that is called ‘artist statement’.
The idea was initiated by the two artists, Maria Paschalidou and Georgia Kotretsos who curated the exhibition and organized the panel discussion with art academics, curators and artists at the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center of Chicago.
Kika Charalambidou | Juan William Chávez | Thulani Earnshaw | Effie Hallivopoulou | Richard Koenig | Brandon LaBelle | Jenny Marketou | Serkan Özkaya | Sabrina Raaf | Scott Reeder | Ryan Swanson | Anna Lagiou-Tsouloufi | Pamela Z | Eleni Zouni
GRAPHIC DESIGN (exhibition catalogue and postcard): Gökhan Ersan
- The Art of Artist Statement, International invitational exhibition. Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center; Chicago, February 18 - April 2, 2005
LECTURES / PANEL DISCUSSIONS:
- Maria Paschalidou, “The Art of Artist Statement exhibition: A discussion on artist statements”.Museum Herakleidon; Athens, April 3, 2006
- Maria Paschalidou, "The Politics of Representation of the artist’s discourse: The Art of Artist Statement”. Contemporary Art Magazine GAP & GAZON ROUGE Gallery; Athens, March 2, 2006
- The Art of Artist Statement Panel Discussion. Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center; Chicago, March 4, 2005. PANELISTS: Candida Alvarez | Adam Brooks | Michelle Grabner | Adelheid Mers
- Maria Paschalidou, “‘The Art of Artist Statement’ exhibition in Chicago: A multilevel investigation of how people respond to the ‘artist statement’”. Lecture for the “Artist Statement: Artistic Inquiry and the Role of the Artist in Academe” workshop. Organized by the Thompson Rivers University; British Columbia, Canada, Nov. 23–26, 2005
- The Art of Artist Statement exhibition catalogue. Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center Chicago, February 2005
- Maria Paschalidou & Georgia Kotretsos, “Obsessive Compulsive Logorrhea”, “The Art of Artist Statement Internet Survey” and “The Art of Artist Statement On the Street Interviews”. The Art of Artist Statement exhibition catalogue, pp.1, 4-5